Advice for driving in Winter - Top tips
- Always clear snow and ice from all windows and mirrors before travelling to ensure you have good visibility.
- Always carry a scraper and de-icer to clear windows and mirrors.
- Ice and slush can mean it will take you 10 times longer to stop than on a dry road so slow down, manoeuvre gently and avoid sudden braking or acceleration.
- Vehicle maintenance is very important. Tyres should have plenty of tread and be at the right pressure. Check that your brakes are in good working order. Lights and windscreen wipers should work properly. Make sure you have plenty of screen wash and add anti-freeze to the radiator.
- Take extra care around snowploughs and salting lorries. Keep a safe distance and don't attempt to overtake.
- Pack blankets in to your car - or make sure you have plenty of warm clothes.
- Take provisions such as water, tea or coffee and snacks.
- Take breaks or share driving when making long journeys.